Film, video and photography
A significant achievement was made with the passing of the Film Law in 2004, fundamentally amended in 2010 and 2011.
The entire media regulation was reconsidered after 2010. The most important prevailing regulations concerning radio and television broadcasters are the following:
- content quotas for Hungarian programmes produced in Hungary by private and public radio stations are 35%, of which 25% must be produced in the last 5 years respectively;
- content quotas for Hungarian programmes produced in Hungary by private and public television stations are 33.3% and 50% respectively;
- quotas for programmes of European origin are 60% in the case of public television and 50 % in case of private television;
- a minimum of 25% of films broadcast by the public television should have Hungarian participation;
- quotas for independent producers’ films are 10% European; 8% Hungarian for all private TV stations and the films must have been made in the last 5 years; and
- for public channels, quotas for independent producers’ films are 33.3% in general and 25% Hungarian.
There exist no special press quotas in Hungary.