The Tax Code of Ukraine (2010 with amendments 2011-2013, 2017) envisages (Article 197.1.31) VAT exemption for “creation, delivery, promotion, restoration and distribution of the national cultural product”. In 2014, the Ministry of Culture developed explanations about creation, delivery, restoration and distribution of the national cultural product for the procedure established by the Government, including:
- music, dramatic, literature, fine arts, decorative, monumental and photography works created by domestic authors;
- theatre performances, concert programmes and circus programmes, festivals, contests, tours, museum exhibitions, art exhibitions, books – created or organised by culture organisations, professional associations or entrepreneurs – residents of Ukraine;
- music phonograms, audio and audio-visual works produced by culture organisations, professional associations or entrepreneurs – residents of Ukraine;
- excursion services related to historical and cultural sites, museums, exhibitions;
- research activities, expertise of cultural values, restoration works; and
- national film production, etc.
Culture activities (creation, research, promotion, translation), if it is a private/entrepreneur business, could be subject to simplified taxation (Tax Code, Article 291) with fixed rates.
The Law on Culture envisages (Article 13) the support of national producers in culture by creating favourable taxation conditions and providing government financial assistance for producing and distributing books, films and other kinds of cultural products in Ukrainian, inside and out of Ukraine.
There are no specific tax breaks or other such benefits for artists.