The Federal Office of Culture supports nationwide organisations for professional artists and amateurs. Financial assistance is intended to promote creative work in Switzerland, to improve working conditions, to preserve cultural diversity, and to intensify cultural exchange between the country’s different language regions.
Currently 15 organisations are benefiting from such support. Funding amounts to approximately CHF 3 million.
A certain number of associations, including the author’s rights collecting societies, have joined together under the banner of “Suisseculture”. The main tasks of cultural (umbrella) organisations are:
- lobbying (in the context of public decision-making procedures);
- material and immaterial support of artists (many associations have their own support funds and studios);
- to provide legal and financial advice;
- social help in difficult situations; and
- organisation of cultural events.