There is a relatively high degree of feminisation in public sector cultural professions. However, there are still few women holding executive posts and there are no special programmes to promote the position of woman in the cultural sector.
Below is an overview of the share of women working in public culture sector. These figures represent the total number of women working in 5 specific sectors of professions as defined by the Central Statistical Bureau:
- activities connected with film and video (92.1);
- radio and television activities (92.2);
- other artistic activities and entertainment (92.3);
- information agencies (92.4); and
- activities of libraries, archives, museums, and other cultural activities (92.5).
Table 2: Share of women working in the public cultural sector, 1995, 1998 and 2000
|Year||Total number of employees||% share of women|
Source: Data from Central Statistical Office (GUS).
The figures indicate a high percentage of women working in these fields and show that in terms of numbers their position has remained steady since the mid-1990s.
Two women have held the office of Minister of Culture since 1989: Izabella Cywińska (12th September 1989 -14th December 1990) and Joanna Wnuk-Nazarowa (31st October 1997 – 25th March 1999).