Public authorities in Norway use the following methods to support artists:
1) Government Grants For Artists (Arts Council Norway)
These schemes give support to individual artists.
2) The Norwegian Cultural Fund (Arts Council Norway)
his fund allocates funding to projects based on application.
3) Schemes for compensation and taxes
There are different schemes to ensure that artists receive compensation for the public use of their work.
4) Grants to art institutions
Several theatres, symphony orchestras and the National Opera receive between 70-95% of their income from public grants.
5) Grants to dissemination institutions
The major part of the income of many dissemination institutions are public grants.
There are several schemes that contribute to the extension of the market for artistic and cultural goods and services, e.g. the purchasing scheme for new Norwegian literature.