Cultural sustainability is one of the goals of Georgia’s cultural policy. However, it is written only in the Culture Strategy 2025.
Other strategic documents of Georgia indirectly refer to culture. Recognition of its potential economic, social and environmental consequences is the achievement of the Ministry of Culture and the nongovernmental sector only.
“The Sustainable Development Goals National Document“
“The Sustainable Development Goals National Document depicts the priorities of the UN SDGs at the national level, aimed at promoting the implementation of SDGs and introduction of evidence-based national policy according to the 2030 agenda.
The Sustainable Development Goals National Document equally addresses the three dimensions of sustainable development – economic, social and environmental.”
Socio-Economic Development Strategy of Georgia 2020
Socio-Economic Development Strategy of Georgia 2020 outlines the country’s economic development visions, where tourism is a part, which includes the use of cultural monuments and the sale of various cultural products; however, no direct vision is apparent in the context of cultural development.
The Ministry of Culture and Monument Protection has developed the “Culture Strategy 2025” (approved 30.06.2016), which includes the main indicators and trends in the field of culture. The purpose of the document is to establish an interagency coordination platform; on the basis of this Strategy the policy Goal s within the framework of the Strategy 2025 will be included in the policies of other Ministries (http://www.culturepolicy.gov.ge/getfile/29f126fc-420a-43f5-bcecadaf14f9d779/.aspx).
Consequently, since 2016 there is a sustainable coordination mechanism that is the basis for the development under the common umbrella of culture policy.
At the same time, there is an internal interdepartmental plan designed to provide the appropriate reflection of the trends specified in the policy document in the budgets and action plans of the Ministries.
- Interagency Action Plan for Implementation of the Culture Strategy for 2017-2018
- Action Plan for Equal Participation of Persons with Disabilities in Cultural Life for 2017-2018
- Roadmap for Developing Cultural and Creative Industries in Georgia 2016 – 2017. CREATIVE GEORGIA.
These documents show that the society and state structures have already come to the understanding that a synergistic approach is necessary for the implementation of national sustainable development policies, taking into account the multifaceted resources of culture and their importance.
The Culture Strategy 2025 contains the 3rd strategic Goal: Culture and Other Key Areas.
The expected result of this Goal is: culture and creativity will contribute to various areas and the sustainable development of the country and the well-being of society, in general.
“Goal: Culture and creativity help other key areas to contribute in a wider sense to the State’s sustainable development and social well-being.
Objective: Culture is integrated into the development policies of different sectors, different government agencies and municipalities based on regular consultations between the Ministry of Culture and Monument Protection of Georgia and other important agencies and stakeholders.
- Raise the awareness of policy-makers and other key stakeholders about the cultural spill-overs on and the economic impact;
- Taking into view the crucial role of culture with regard to economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development, integrate culture into policy planning documents on the national, sectoral and regional levels, and into other policy sectors;
- Create a platform for regular consultations between policy-makers of culture and other agencies, which shall ensure their involvement in the policy-planning processes from its initial stages;
- Develop joint initiatives and programmes between the Ministry of Culture and Monument Protection of Georgia and other agencies, in order to enforce the development of the national economy and contribute to a wider international recognition