The Media Services Act states the procedure and principles for provision of audiovisual media services and radio services and the requirements for providers of media services. It also provides the procedure for issuing activity licenses for TV- and radio-channels and the procedure for the registration of the provision of on-demand audiovisual media services. The Act gives the principles of protection of a person who has provided information to a person for journalistic purposes. According to the Act, audiovisual media services are: television service which is provided on the basis of the programme schedule for simultaneous viewing of programmes, on-demand audiovisual media service which is provided for the viewing of programmes at the moment chosen by the user at the individual choice and request, audiovisual commercial communication and other similar services provided in the course of economic activities, except for services that do not compete with television service.
The Estonian Public Broadcasting Act provides the legal status, objective, functions, financing, and organisation of management and activities of Estonian Public Broadcasting (Eesti Rahvusringhääling). Public Broadcasting is a legal person in public law. The objective of Public Broadcasting is to assist in the performance of the functions of the Estonian state provided by the Constitution of the Republic of Estonia. For such purposes, Public Broadcasting shall create programme services, produce and mediate programmes and organise other activities which, separately or as a set shall:
- support the development of the Estonian language and culture;
- enhance the guarantees of the permanence of the Estonian state and nation and draw attention to the circumstances which may pose a threat to the permanence of the Estonian state and nation;
- assist in the increase of the social cohesion of the Estonian society;
- assist in the increase of the economic well-being and competitive ability of Estonia;
- assist in the promotion of the democratic form of government;
- explain the need for the economical use and sustainable development of the natural environment;
- enhance the family-based model of society;
- assist in the audio-visual recording of the Estonian history and culture;
- guarantee the availability of the information needed by each person for his or her self-realisation.
The Act to Regulate Dissemination of Works which Contain Pornography or Promote Violence or Cruelty states that dissemination and exhibition to minors of works which contain pornography or promote violence or cruelty is prohibited. Transmission of television or radio broadcasts that contain pornography or promote violence or cruelty, by persons who have the right to transmit television or radio broadcasts in Estonia, are also prohibited. An expert committee under the Ministry of Culture determines the content of works in the cases specified in the Act.