The Cyprus Library Law (L.51/1987) dates back to 1927 with the establishment of the Cyprus Public Library on the initiative of the British Colonial Governor Sir Ronald Storrs. It operated under municipal control until 1954. Under the Cyprus Public Library Law of 1968, the Library came under the control of the Ministry of Education and Culture and its collections were merged with those of the Ministry’s Library. In 1974 the Library was relocated back to its original premises on the D’Avila Bastion of the Venetian walls of Nicosia. The Cyprus Library was established by law in 1987.