The State Committee for Urban Planning and Architecture is the central executive body implementing state policy and regulation in urban planning, spatial planning, architecture, and related design in the Republic of Azerbaijan. Together with relevant executive authorities and self-government bodies, the Committee must:
- take measures for preservation, protection, and enrichment of national and historical heritage, urban planning, architectural monuments, natural and cultural landscape, and other protected areas;
- together with the relevant executive authorities and local self-government bodies in newly constructed facilities, the national architectural style must be considered in the landscaping works carried out in cities and regions to ensure aesthetic beauty, modernity.
Baku State Design Institute was established in 1937. Since its inception, it has been involved in design activities and addresses the urban planning issues in Baku, as well as developing schemes and projects for engineering and transport infrastructure. In addition, it created the Master Plan of Baku that was effective until 2005. The activities of the Institute include regional planning projects, master plans, complex planning projects, residential construction projects, residential and commercial construction projects, engineering communications and transport infrastructure projects, environmental protection, ecology, dendrology, drainage, geodesy and geological and feasibility studies, project management, and architectural supervision.
Union of Architects of Azerbaijan (UAA) is a voluntary professional creative association of architects of the country that aims:
- To develop creative concepts and implement the development strategy of Azerbaijan architecture together with the governmental bodies;
- To promote the protection of the historical architectural and natural environment, and pay careful attention to architectural monuments,
- To promote improvements in architectural education and continued improvement in professional skills of architects in the country, to encourage and nurture the young generation in the profession
- To propagate achievements in Azerbaijan architecture, promote the development of printing and architectural critics; organise shows, exhibitions, and sale of the works of architecture, painting and applied arts, et cetera.
“Azerbaijan Design Forum 2019” was organised at the International Mugham Center on November 23, 2019, with the support of the Ministry for Culture. The forum’s primary purpose was to bring together Azerbaijani designers, exchange experiences, discuss, and share the most innovative approaches to these issues. The event also discussed the importance of Baku’s recent inclusion in the UNESCO Network of Creative Cities and the establishment of the Azerbaijan Design Council.
The “Azerbaijan Design Forum 2019” competition winners’ ceremony was held at the Azerbaijan State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre on March 2, 2020. The competition, supported by the Ministry for Culture and free of charge for creative people, was held to raise the level of design in the country and identify talented people. A jury of world-renowned professionals (18 judges from 6 countries) evaluated all projects online anonymously. In total, 611 works by more than 400 designers were submitted to the competition in 10 categories on the official website: branding, packaging design, illustration, web design, industrial design, application design, interior design, exterior design, print design and outdoor design.