Legislation on culture and natural heritage
- Law nr. 9048, date 7.4.2003, “For Culture Heritage” and Law nr. 9386, date 4.5.2005, “For Museums” replaced by
- Law Nr. 125/ 2013 on “Concessions and Public Private Partnership”
- Law nr.10081, date 23.2.2009, “For licenses, authorizations and permits in the Republic of Albania” amended
Law Nr. 27/2018 on Cultural Heritage and Museums set changes in the management of cultural heritage and museums, decentralization of administration and financing in order to protect and preserve the national cultural heritage, as well as a substantial change in society’s approach to cultural assets. One of the new concepts as a result of the law, among others, is the strategic partnership with natural and legal persons who, from their experience in the field, value the quality of sponsorship, cooperation agreements, exchange of intellectual values and human and financial resources.
The UNESCO Convention for the Protection of World Culture and Nature Heritage, 1975, was ratified in Albania on July 10, 1989 and implemented in October 10, 1989150.
- Law nr. 27/2018, 17.05.2018, “On Cultural Heritage and Museums151. This law has been partially approximated to Directive 2014/60/EU of the Council of Europe and the European Parliament, dated 15 May 2004, “On the return of cultural heritage that illegally left the territory of a member state” and amends Regulation (EU) nr. 1024/2012. Celex: 32014L0060; Official Journal of the European Union, L. 159, dated 28.5.2014 f. 1–10. And Regulation 116/2009/EU of the Council of Europe, dated 18 December 2008, “On the export of cultural products”, Celex 3A32009R0116, Official Journal of European Union, serie L. 139/1, date 10.2.2009 f. 1–7.
Since the year 2000, the Council of Ministers has taken 33152 decisions in relation to cultural heritage, such as on the organization and functioning of the Agency for Archaeology Service, National Archaeology Council, protection of natural areas, functioning of the State Museums Commission, declaration of cultural heritage for castles, declaration of classification of archaeology areas, founding of the Chinese Cultural Centre, functioning of the National Centre of Traditional Activities, etc.
International Conventions Ratified by the Republic of Albania on Cultural Heritage:
- Law nr. 9490, date 13.3.2006 “On the Ratification of the Convention on the Protection of Intangible Heritage” Paris 2003
- Law nr 9806, date 17.9.2007 On the Accession of the Republic of Albania to the European Convention “On the Protection of Archaeological Heritage”
- Law nr.10027, date 11.12.2008 “On the Accession of the Republic of Albanian to the Convention for the Protection of Underwater Cultural Heritage”, Paris 2001
Cultural Heritage as part of the National Strategy for Culture 2019- 2025153 Project on Council of Ministers Decision for “Licensing of Archaeological Activities” 2018