An updated cultural policy profile for North Macedonia is now available. Special thanks go to our North Macedonian expert Zlatko Teodosievski.
The updated profile contains the latest information on developments in the field of cultural policy. Below you can see some of those changes and developments in North Macedonia:
- Culture’s share of the central state budget in 2020 was 0.16% (0.12% in 2019), almost the lowest rate in the past 20 years. On the other hand, the cultural budget for 2020 was almost 47% higher than the budget for 2019.
- In the 2021 budget for protection of cultural heritage there is for the first time a fund for protection of cultural heritage in danger.
- To evaluate the need for a separate law for the performing arts, a working group was established and the proposal is now being evaluated.
- A new Law on exercising public interest in culture was prepared (2019) and awaits Parliamentary procedure.
- A draft of a new National Strategy for Protection of Cultural Heritage (2021-2025) is under public debate.
- The Law on Social Protection (May 2019) improves the rights of people with disabilities, with better services in local communities, personal assistance and home care, social inclusion etc.
- The European Union (EU) has allocated EUR 57.7 million for North Macedonia to participate in 12 EU cultural programmes so far.