European module for the digital event series “noFuture? The art of departure” in the context of the German Federal Congress on Cultural Policy. This European module is organised by the Kulturpolitische Gesellschaft (Association of Cultural Policy) in cooperation with the Compendium for Cultural Policies and Trends, the German Contact Point for Europe for Citizens and the German Creative Europe Desk CULTURE.
The European module invites stakeholders from cultural institutions from different countries to share their specific experiences what challenges cultural institutions in Europe are facing and their ideas of dealing with. The module consists of two formats:
3 Speed dating video talks (19th April, 26th April and 3rd May)
Stakeholders from cultural institutions of 6 countries will be paired for an experimental speed date: they don’t know each other, come from different cultural sectors and institutions and start a dialogue to discuss their crises and solutions. The 30 minutes video takes will be published here and via Social Media on 3 consecutive Mondays: April 19, April 26, May 3. A short best off will be included in the following panel discussion.
- Video talk 1: Olga Brzezińska, City of Literature Foundation (Poland) and Maria Vlachou, Acesso Cultura (Portugal)
- Video talk 2: Goranka Horjan, Ethnographic Museum Zagreb (Croatia) and Eric Söderblom, Espoo City Theatre (Finland)
- Video talk 3: Lars Ebert, H401 (Netherlands) and Tania Wilmer, Dance Umbrella Festivals (United Kingdom)
Live Panel discussion (10th May, 17:30-19:00 CEST)
What are the current crises of culture in Europe? Which solutions already exist and which still need to be developed? These questions will also be answered from academia and cultural policy makers in the context of an online panel discussion on May 10, 17:30-19:00 (CEST).
Our Guest for the Panel Discussion “What is our crisis and how do we deal with it?”
- Else Christensen-Redzepovic, Goethe-Institut Brüssel/Voices of Culture (Belgium)
- Milena Dragićević Šešić, University of Arts in Belgrade (Serbia)
- Isabelle Schwarz, European Cultural Foundation (Netherlands)
- Moderation: Christoph Jankowski, British Council (United Kingdom)
Idea of “noFuture? The art of departure”
We see a systemic crisis of culture that can also be read as a crisis of society. The Corona pandemic illuminates existing structural problems and threatens the existence of many artists. We are convinced that the crisis holds both potential and necessity for a new beginning, which we support with this digital event series. What is needed is a culture (politics) of transformation. Thematically, we link the Corona crisis, the need for transformation of cultural (politics) and the crisis of democracy with each other–not only focusing the situation in Germany but also bringing in other European perspectives. In the dialog spaces offered, we want to question the existing and at the same time open ourselves to the development of new ideas and their possible implementation.