Portugal/ 5.1 General legislation
5.1.6 Labour laws
For performing arts professionals, Law 4/2008 establishes the legal framework for employment contracts. There are however some unresolved gaps in this law: in addition to the fact that it only applies to sector workers under contract (a very small proportion of the total number of performing and visual arts professionals, who are mostly self-employed), rules relating to professional certification and social security were left undefined (see chapter 4.2.9).
Other relevant legal documents:
- regulations governing specific careers in the functional areas of:
- Libraries, Documentation and Archiving (Decree-Law 247/91, as amended by Decree-Law 276/95);
- Museums (Decree-Law 55/2001);
- Archaeology (Regulatory Decree 28/97);
- specific legislation regarding School Libraries Network (RBE) regulating the function of Librarian-Teachers (Order nº 756/2009);
- establishment of the Culture employment and Culture Training (Joint Despatches 243/99 and 244/99); and
- general changes were introduced as part of a new statute for public service careers set in 2008 (Decree-Law 121/2008).
See also comparative information provided in the Compendium "Themes!" section under "Status of Artists".
Chapter published: 07-11-2012