Moldova/ 8.1 Support to artists and other creative workers
8.1.3 Grants, awards, scholarships
The Republic of Moldova offers the following awards for artists:
- the National Culture Awards (every three years);
- the National Youth Awards (once a year);
- the Ministry of Culture prize for the best play (once every 2 years);
- the Ministry of Culture prize for the best artistic works exhibited in the annual National Fine Arts Exhibition "Saloanele Moldovei";
- the Theatrical Union prize for the best production of the year;
- five Writers' Union awards for the best first work, anthology, prose, critique and thesis, and the "excellence prize" in recognition of a body of work by one writer (once a year);
- the Artists Union prize for works in different genres exhibited in the National Fine Arts Exhibition: "Saloanele Moldovei";
- the awards of the Union of Composers and Musicians for the best compositions and musical works (once a year); and
- for the 20th anniversary of the independence of the Republic of Moldova, the government has established 10 national awards (June 2011), amounting to 100 000 MDL each (EUR 6 250), for the most remarkable achievements in art, culture, and science.
On 12 March 2014, the government passed a draft law introducing a merit allowance for artists with outstanding achievements and notorious activities. Thus, those who are 60 years old will receive a monthly allowance equal to the amount of an average wage in the economy, which is paid by the government and is non-taxable.
Chapter published: 11-03-2015