Latvia/ 2. General objectives and principles of cultural policy
2.3 Cultural policy objectives
The Cultural Policy Guidelines "National State" (2006 – 2015) set 7 strategic aims for cultural development in Latvia:
- to enhance the national identity and the consolidation of Latvian civil society, maintaining and creating shared national cultural values;
- to improve the cooperation between culture and the sectors of the economy to facilitate the diversity of Latvian culture and the sustainable development of a creative economy;
- to create an environment favourable towards the development of creative diversity and to stimulate excellence;
- to promote balanced development of culture processes and the accessibility of culture throughout Latvia, ensuring the right to good quality of life for all the inhabitants of the state;
- to develop and make full use of the potential of culture in the life long education of individuals, promoting the development of a knowledge society founded upon humanistic values;
- to facilitate dialogue and understanding between cultures and nations and to enrich the cultural life of Latvia by participating in international culture processes and cooperation networks; and
- to build upon knowledge and information technology base, develop result oriented culture governance and to facilitate the decentralisation of culture.
See also chapter 4.2.1.
Chapter published: 30-05-2012