Hungary/ 5.3 Sector specific legislation
5.3.7 Mass media
The entire media regulation was reconsidered after 2010. The most important prevailing regulations concerning radio and television broadcasters are the following:
- content quotas for Hungarian programmes produced in Hungary by private and public radio stations are 35%, of which 25% must be produced in the last 5 years respectively;
- content quotas for Hungarian programmes produced in Hungary by private and public television stations are 33.3% and 50% respectively;
- quotas for programmes of European origin are 60% in the case of public television and 50 % in case of private television;
- a minimum of 25% of films broadcast by the public television should have Hungarian participation;
- quotas for independent producers' films are 10% European; 8% Hungarian for all private TV stations and the films must have been made in the last 5 years; and
- for public channels, quotas for independent producers' films are 33.3% in general and 25% Hungarian.
There exist no special press quotas in Hungary.
Chapter published: 20-11-2012