Belgium/ 5.3 Sector specific legislation
5.3.4 Literature and libraries
- The Arts Decree - Decree Concerning the Subsidising of Arts Organisations, Artists, Arts Education and Socio-artistic Organisations, International Initiatives, Publications and Support Centres (2 April 2004, amended in early summer 2008); and
- The Cultural Heritage Decree (23 May 2008).
All other regulations emanate from the Vlaams Fonds voor de Letteren [Flemish Literature Fund] (established by Decree of 30 March 1999, changed on 29 July 2004):
There are also regulations covering the subsidies on the production of literary publications and magazines, for literary readings and performances, work grants for authors, project grants and subsidies for translators.
- Local Cultural Policy Decree: Decree Concerning the Stimulation of a Qualitative and Integral Local Cultural Policy (2001, 2007); and
- public lending rights: Copyright Act (2004).
- Order of 5 July 1985 of the French Community Executive Creating a Literary Commission of the French Community and Order of 19 May 1989 (amendments);
- Order of 4 April 1988 of the French Community Executive Laying down the Models of Aid for Publishing in the French Community;
- Order of 28 March 1990 of the French Community Executive Creating the Book Council of the Wallonia-Brussels French Community;
- Order of 23 October 1991 of the French Community Executive Laying down the Forms of Aid for Dissemination in the French Community;
- Decree of 28 February 1978 Organising the Public Reading Service; Decrees of 21 October 1988, of 19 July 1991 and of 30 November 1992 (amendments); and
- Order of 14 March 1995 of the French Community Government in Respect of the Organisation of the Public Reading Service; Orders of 2 September 1997 and of 8 November 1999 (amendments).
- 15.06.1994 – Public Libraries Decree.
Chapter published: 09-03-2012