Armenia/ 4. Current issues in cultural policy development and debate
4.1 Main cultural policy issues and priorities
In the past, the priority of the Armenian cultural policy was mainly directed at the preservation of cultural structures and major trends, but now cultural development and promoting Armenian culture are emphasised more.
The priority directions of the cultural policy today are:
1. The formation of the legislative framework in the field:
- compatibility of cultural and relevant legislation with European standards and requirements; and
- regulation of the legislative framework directed at the development of specific fields of culture.
2. Development of strategies for cultural development
The Cultural Development Strategy for 2008-2012 has the following priorities:
The preservation of cultural heritage:
- elaboration and implementation of a comprehensive programme on preservation of cultural values (mobile and immobile, tangible and intangible);
- creation of mechanisms for identification, registration, monitoring and preservation of cultural values in the Republic of Armenia and abroad; and
- promoting the cultural heritage internationally and increasing its availability to the public.
The development of a new model on decentralisation of cultural management and financing:
- increasing public participation in the management of cultural structures and establishments;
- specification, separation of powers and eradication of double management by authorities in the cultural field;
- introduction of a multi-source financing system, development and introduction of a programme financing system, and introduction of a co-financing system through a participative mechanism; and
- establishment of supporting cultural organisations.
The development of modern art and cultural infrastructures and the promotion of cultural processes:
- promotion of the formation of an Institute of Cultural Managers;
- promotion of new processes; and
- assistance to highly valuable cultural activities.
The use of information technologies in the cultural area:
- introduction of new information-communication technologies and electronic management systems into the cultural area; and
- promotion of the digitisation of data on cultural values – formation of a digital treasury.
The provision of training and education for specialists in the cultural field:
- a review and improvement of training of specialists in the cultural area; and
- provision of continuing education for cultural specialists, with the involvement of the interested parties in the development of educational programmes, according to market demands.
The development of cultural links inside Armenia and with foreign countries:
- promotion of inter-marz cultural cooperation;
- support to the broadening of cultural dialogue with foreign countries;
- engagement of the Diaspora in the cultural field of Armenia; and
- a promotion programme on Armenian culture abroad.
Among the priorities of the Cultural Development Strategy for 2008-2012 are:
- effective coordination of cultural policy;
- cultural heritage;
- international cooperation;
- digitisation of non-material culture; and
- popular culture.
Currently, the encouragement of projects by talented artists, youth cultural groups, broadening the outlook of young people by educational establishments and by the programmes of education on national culture, history, and civic education are among the priorities in the cultural field.
Currently the achievements of the Cultural Development Strategy for 2008-2012 are being finalised and analysed.
Chapter published: 19-11-2013